Automotive reporting for metro-Detroiters from the streets of metro-Detroit.

No gear-head, tech-babble here friends, just what you really want to know about a car before you sign your life away...or at least the next 36, 60, or 72 months of it.

I know you want style, comfort and fun. Moms, I know you don't drive a minivan because you want to! I'll tell you which cars will make your commute along 696 more comfortable, which ones are destined to become Dream Cruise favorites and which rides will keep your kids entertained so you don't have to.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Technology Rocks!

The Ride: 2010 Lincoln MKS w/ EcoBoost
The Price: $53, 930
The Pics - (click here for Photos)

Wow! Check out the auto park feature on that Lincoln - hot!

The 2010 Lincoln MKT was not only strikingly beautiful, but also one of the most autonomous cars I have tested to date. Heaven forbid I should get withing 15 feet of the car ahead of me, or worse - should another car attempt to slip into my blindspot (naughty!), MKS was having none of these shenanigans! Chimes would sound, lights would flash and I am pretty sure had I ignored these alerts, an old polish lady with an apron might have appeared ready to slap me or the other drivers up-side the head in disgust!

I am a fan of these warning signals. With two boys and occasionally even more children forever residing in my second row, I am a distracted driver - all Moms are really. My favorite Mommy's aide was the huge DVD screen featuring the back-up camera. Yes, chimes would sound if an object was in your way while backing up too, but the picture is so much more helpful, especially in school parking lots where chaos abounds and where children and parents alike forget how to be cautious.

Stressful situations like trying to evacuate the school parking lot safely, provided perfect opportunities to try out MKS' heated seats and dual-pane sun roof to just relax and enjoy the view for a second. "Mooooo-oooommmm, what's taking sooo LONG !?!" One swift kick to the back of my seat and I was back to reality and wondering why my sons legs were able to reach my seat.

Later, I hopped back there myself to find despite this Lincoln's hefty size, the backseat was definitely slim. Even at five foot four, my legs were scrunched. Bummer. What with all the leather upholstery and pretty finishes, I guess I expected more. Lincoln peeps are smart though. They've thrown in some luxurious distractions to remove your focus from your aching knees. Heated and cooled second row seats were a thrill, although not for the kids who were propped up in boosters. The drop-down arm rest included cup holders AND storage cubbies to hold snacks, crayons, Bakugans and Go-Gos. Convenient.

Not-so-convenient were the LATCH connectors that straddled the buckle receptors (see pics link at top). This didn't make sense because child safety seats cannot straddle the receptors, so this arrangement cannot be effective.

Overall Impression: The Lincoln MKS was a nice treat. It wrapped me in luxury and provided features that helped me through my daily life. Although it won't earn you cost-saving bonus points, it will make you feel like everyday is a spa day. For that, MKS earns an MCM-seal of approval!

No comments:

Post a Comment