Automotive reporting for metro-Detroiters from the streets of metro-Detroit.

No gear-head, tech-babble here friends, just what you really want to know about a car before you sign your life away...or at least the next 36, 60, or 72 months of it.

I know you want style, comfort and fun. Moms, I know you don't drive a minivan because you want to! I'll tell you which cars will make your commute along 696 more comfortable, which ones are destined to become Dream Cruise favorites and which rides will keep your kids entertained so you don't have to.

Saturday, May 1, 2010


The ride: 2010 Ford Flex w/ EcoBoost
The Price: $39,940
The Pics
My favorite Mommy super-hero is Elastigirl from the Pixar Studios favorite The Incredibles. A phenomenally loving wife and mother, this super-mom could stretch her arms to reach two kids running in opposite directions (wow!) or turn herself into a parachute to secure a soft landing after leaping from a tumbling airplane. Despite Flex’s sturdy-steel frame, it too quickly adapted to whatever I threw at it.
Three rows of comfort cradled my family on our daily commutes. The kids were able to buckle easily and could manipulate that second row to gain access to the third row (they always opt to be as far away from the parents as possible) just as effortlessly. I didn’t have to help at all. Mama appreciated leather upholstery, heated seats and surprisingly good visibility from all angles plus the ability to carry seven passengers with LATCH connectors enough for three car seats!
My husband felt right at home in Flex and noted it one of the most comfortable and roomy cars I have ever tested.
Flex joined our family on a journey to Great Lakes Crossing for our annual OshKosh adventure. The cruise up I-75 was a breeze as the four of us plus grandma likened the ride to being in a living-room on wheels. Despite its size and boxy shape, Flex was able to pick up speed easily and maneuver through traffic just as I imagine Elastigirl would.
As I ran through my daily errands in Flex, I asked people what they thought of it. Many were not sure about the retro exterior styling. To them I said, “You should drive one.” Unfortunately, Flex is one whose most venerable attributes may never be realized because people are so used to making snap judgments based on surface features.

No comments:

Post a Comment