Automotive reporting for metro-Detroiters from the streets of metro-Detroit.

No gear-head, tech-babble here friends, just what you really want to know about a car before you sign your life away...or at least the next 36, 60, or 72 months of it.

I know you want style, comfort and fun. Moms, I know you don't drive a minivan because you want to! I'll tell you which cars will make your commute along 696 more comfortable, which ones are destined to become Dream Cruise favorites and which rides will keep your kids entertained so you don't have to.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Learning to let go...


Yeah, so I have been in the market to buy a new car since roughly 2006. See, my 2001 Saturn SL1 has literally had it at 155, 000 miles with scratches on every exterior surface and stains on every interior surface - even on the ceiling where a mascara swipe still lingers. She wobbles at slow speeds and shudders at higher speeds. The poor girl shakes so much I can no longer really see anything out of the rear-view mirror it vibrates so intensely (eh-eh, don't start making sly vibrator jokes here, this is serious business).

Today her frail-self could hardly gain traction on the wet pavement. I wonder how many more miles she can handle without a complete overhaul of every mechanical system she houses.

So sad though to think of giving her up. Yes, she is a "she", not because I'm sexist and think all cars are "she," but because she has proven herself to be. Her name is Bella and she was my first new car. Purchased right after I graduated from college, Bella symbolized freedom, independence and a sheer moving-on-up attitude.
She has survived two years of intense commuting at over 140 miles per day. She kept me safe when a pregnant-me spun out on an ice-covered I-69. Bella transported my husband and I to our honeymoon in Hog Island, MI (don't ask cuz I won't tell). Bottom line, this car has been through it and has NEVER left me stranded nor has she ever required pricey maintenance. I bet in the whole 9 years we've been hitting the road together she might have needed about $650 worth of work, other than regular oil changes and a new tire here and there.

In future posts I will relate the troubles I've had searching for a new car, the frustration over learning there aren't any auto-Brokers in Michigan to wheel and deal for me, and that the prices in the ads are NEVER, ever, ever true. The wealth of vehicle choices out there does not make the decision any easier either. Who knows, maybe eventually I will even write about getting to know my new car. Maybe the next one will be a boy. Anybody have that Chinese gender calendar handy? LOL!
While I am searching though, I want to hear your first car story too. Go ahead, I am listening...

No comments:

Post a Comment