Automotive reporting for metro-Detroiters from the streets of metro-Detroit.

No gear-head, tech-babble here friends, just what you really want to know about a car before you sign your life away...or at least the next 36, 60, or 72 months of it.

I know you want style, comfort and fun. Moms, I know you don't drive a minivan because you want to! I'll tell you which cars will make your commute along 696 more comfortable, which ones are destined to become Dream Cruise favorites and which rides will keep your kids entertained so you don't have to.

Thursday, May 13, 2010



Does news media coverage accurately portray reality? I'm betting most people will chuckle at this question and may even shake their head with some measure of disgust. I know, I hear you.

As metro-Detroiters, we are barraged on a daily basis with stories of shootings, hit and runs and arson fires (yep, all of these were just from today's news alone). I have often wondered what the news would look and feel like if news were not a business but strictly a municipal service in which coverage was limited by true community statistics; i.e. - if only three percent of the crimes committed in your community were murders, than only three percent of the news reported could cover murder. Make sense?
Blah, blah, blah, what does this have to do with cars? Well, with all of the good press our domestic OEMs have been receiving lately, I'll admit I was SHOCKED last night when I found myself drowning in the HUGE divide that still remains between Ford and Toyota stock prices.

At todays' close Ford had nearly reached $13 per share while Toyota, who according to the media coverage over the past several months has been completely immersed in a speedy downward spiral, still trades at nearly $80 per share. Huh???

So, lesson learned. Listen to, watch and read any kind of news you like. Really, have at it. Just remember to always keep the ol' money trail in your periphery because those damn numbers (I hate math) are stubborn! They can't be bias, are immune to spin and are void of any emotion.


No comments:

Post a Comment